The Foundation of IMG recognizes the importance of support for different programs within our communities. Allyship in sharing resources and information about various activities within our bi-monthly newsletter and social posts keeps our communities updated and supported.
Are you a current resident completing your RCPSC Certification Exams? Our community ally, SOCASMA, is looking to hear from your experience! Please consider participating in this anonymous survey below.
The Foundation of IMG in collaboration with other organizations are teaming up to share a survey aimed to break barriers for international medical graduates within the Canadian application and licensure perspective. The study is being conducted by our friends at MOSAIC and the UBC Faculty of Medicine. We invite our members to be a part of the change.
ABOUT THE SURVEY
MOSAIC has recently received a grant from the WES Mariam Assefa Fund to collect and analyze disaggregated data to identify barriers and any biases faced by graduates of international medical schools and use this information to advocate for change. Dr. Karin Humphries, Associate Professor Emeritus, Faculty of Medicine, University of British Columbia, is conducting this study in partnership with MOSAIC.
The survey collects demographic, educational, and licensure data from graduates of international medical schools. The survey results will allow us to better understand the barriers, biases, and challenges IMGs face in obtaining Canadian licensure.
The survey is anonymous and is designed only to collect demographic, educational, and Canadian licensure data. Data will be stored on a secure, password protected, database located at the University of British Columbia. The data will not be accessible to the Faculty of Medicine of UBC. All study results will be reported in aggregate to ensure no individual is identifiable.
Purpose of the survey
- Use the data collected to identify the systemic barriers to access and opportunity faced by IMGs.
- Build a better understanding of the demographic characteristics of IMGs.
- Build a better understanding of the different outcomes for each group that falls under the IMG label and how these different outcomes connect to the racial/ethnic identity, country of origin, gender, age and place of education of each group of IMGs.
- Identify how many IMGs have proven their competence by meeting or surpassing the Canadian standard but are unable to access residency positions and therefore obtain a license to practice medicine in Canada.
Our allies are also including our IMG network in various unique and impactful opportunities, including:
- Web Support volunteer: Our colleagues at the Society of Canadians Studying Medicine Abroad (SOCASMA) are inviting our IMG network to be a part of the administrative team by supporting web maintenance, development and updates. This role is remote. As this is a volunteer role, there is no stipend, however, volunteers will be given free member to SOCASMA's additional resources and events.
- Telemedicine Assistant role: Our colleagues at Fort York Medical Clinic have partnered with the Foundation of IMG to invite our IMG network to learn and be a part of their medical team. This role involves participation in supervised focused history taking and physical examinations as well as the opportunity to learn the Canadian medical system, including charting etiquette, patient flow and triage, with the support of their various Family Medicine physicians and staff. This role is not remote. Location: Toronto, Ontario. A stipend is provided for this role.
Please forward your medical CV and interest regarding any of the above roles to firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our administrative members will contact you directly.
Want us to be a part of your mission? Let us know what it is about and how we can help by emailing us at email@example.com
Please note: We DO NOT TOLERATE any form of discrimination and are consistent in this message throughout our current efforts, volunteering opportunities and social associations, including potential allyships. Our intention is so that our international members may feel safe and welcome always and regardless of world circumstances. Thank you.